While hardly feeling like a “veteran” member of CSLSR’s Board of Trustees, having begun my tenure a scant four months ago, I am happy to reflect on my observation of what it is like to be a trustee, what good work is being done and what I enjoy.
Here are some of my beginning observations. Initially there was a definite increase in being recognized, coupled with congratulatory smiles of appreciation from congregants, former classmates and acquaintances that I have garnered over my 30 years of participation at the Center.
Here are some of my beginning observations. Initially there was a definite increase in being recognized, coupled with congratulatory smiles of appreciation from congregants, former classmates and acquaintances that I have garnered over my 30 years of participation at the Center.
No more invisibility, the gold name tag gives me away!
I felt momentary pause and wonder regarding what I had signed on to do, when I was approached with occasional good-natured comments of “What were you thinking?” and are you “Ready to get to work?” Comments that I jokingly received from some who had the inside track on how things work. I wasn’t sure whether it was time to roll up my sleeves or to flee!
Rich and Growth Expanding
I felt momentary pause and wonder regarding what I had signed on to do, when I was approached with occasional good-natured comments of “What were you thinking?” and are you “Ready to get to work?” Comments that I jokingly received from some who had the inside track on how things work. I wasn’t sure whether it was time to roll up my sleeves or to flee!
Rich and Growth Expanding
However, from our first board retreat weekend, I knew that this journey would be a rich and growth expanding one for me. There was the articulation and embedding of spiritual principle and practice as the foundation of all that we do as a Board. Not just one and done but as a part of everything we do, how the Board meetings are structured, our spiritual mind treatments, communications, appreciations and sense of love for the Center, the teachings and each other. Working with a committed group and being a board member has enhanced my sense of responsibility, service and stewardship for this practice. It has given me purpose in a way that I did not previously have. I stand in awe of the incredibly good work and devotion that is presented by staff, volunteers and congregants. I have witnessed all of this, and I amazed at how beautifully it all fits together.
In this short time, my understanding of how things work and the weaving of the Center’s values, vision and philosophy have deepened. I am honored to be a member of our Center’s Board of Trustees and recognize that I did indeed know exactly what I was thinking and feeling when I said YES to the call to be on the board. After only four months, my sleeves are rolled up, and I am happy to be an ambassador for the Center.
With this knowledge I know that my call to action is gifting me far more then I will ever give back in service.
Sue Simon
July 18, 2026
In this short time, my understanding of how things work and the weaving of the Center’s values, vision and philosophy have deepened. I am honored to be a member of our Center’s Board of Trustees and recognize that I did indeed know exactly what I was thinking and feeling when I said YES to the call to be on the board. After only four months, my sleeves are rolled up, and I am happy to be an ambassador for the Center.
With this knowledge I know that my call to action is gifting me far more then I will ever give back in service.
Sue Simon
July 18, 2026
For more information about being a trustee, email info@cslsr.org

Comments
Post a Comment