Skip to main content

Featured Volunteer: Jim Strand

Hi, I'm Jim Strand, and when I first heard of this project, I felt called to participate because Los Guilicos Village is about 5 minutes from my house. I thought we'd be cooking there. How could I pass up an opportunity to be of service to some of the folks recently, and rudely, evicted from the Joe Rodota trail encampment, AND have it be so convenient?

St. Vincent de Paul

Well, it turned out we would cook at the St. Vincent de Paul kitchen in SR, but I was already hooked. The idea that, even though these tiny cabins didn't solve the problem of shelterlessness in SoCo, I could be a part of an effort to provide a substantial, healthy, hot meal for 60-70 people on Tuesdays.

I've worked with Kathryn Jurik for over 25 years on the altars for the annual world peace meditations at the Center and know her to be a creative and capable leader. She was also already actively involved with this same community, so when she put out a request, it was easy to jump in.

I missed the first meal, but have cooked just about every Tuesday since February 11! It has been a joy to work with these folks and be representing the Center in a very meaningful way in the community. We pray before we start work. We know our commitment to serving, and our love of Life, enhances the work we do, juices up the meal, and feeds us spiritually too. 

Thoughts and Prayers

We all know "our thoughts and prayers" really do have an effect out in the world, but this physical activity feels so right, we can see and taste the results of our efforts. I am so grateful to be a part of this team. Blessed be.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're Passing the Baton, is it to you?

We have mentioned before that we are intending to gradually scale back on bookstore duties and eventually step down completely.  We are actively seeking people to help in the following areas: advertising, computer skills (Excel, Word), social media, graphic art (creative signage), special events, deep cleaning and the BIG ONE...retail management and retail buying skills.  Passing the baton Yes, we wish to pass on the management of the store to new volunteers, preferably a manager and assistant manager (or perhaps a management team).  In this store's management, the most important and time-consuming tasks are ordering product, input of product and managing the product.  We would train and continue to advise (if necessary) to ensure a smooth transition of leadership in the two basic areas of gift items and books. For a while, we wish to retain the decorating portion of managing the store. Managing the store is a HUGE responsibility, but the rewards are ten...

Meet your extraordinary Board Trustee and Treasurer, Karen Hatten.

and....Karen wears many hats in Service to our community. On most Sunday mornings she can be found greeting guest and welcoming newcomers.  Thank you Karen for your love and service to our spiritual community.  

How to Volunteer

Please email the member of staff next to the area you are interested in and we will contact you. Landscape and gardening - william.abel@cslsr.org Sunday hospitality - linda.hann@cslsr.org Facility housekeeping - william.abel@cslsr.org Video team - christopher.fritzsche@cslsr.org Facility projects (painting, organizing, repair) - william.abel@cslsr.org Skilled help (electrical, plumbing, etc.) - william.abel@cslsr.org Event Parking Lot surveillance - william.abel@cslsr.org Zoom tech - russ.legear@cslsr.org  "When we serve others, we gain more than hope. We gain energy." — Margaret J. Wheatley in  Turning to One Another "All acts of service are meaningless unless they are given with love." — Sai Baba in  Wisdom from World Religions  by Sir John Templeton