Skip to main content

What I Love About Being a Volunteer - Kathryn Jurik

"I’ve been here at the Center for a while. I’ve been doing my kind of praying/playing in this building for at least 45 years. I skated here almost nightly up until a month or so before my first was born. But that’s not why I volunteer. I volunteer for lots of reasons, and the reasons have changed through the years. I’m just going to make a list of some of my motivations for volunteering.

1.     To get out of the house

2.     To be with positive people

3.     Because no one would pay me to do what I want to do

4.     I’ve volunteered because I’ve thought I was the only person who could do the job ‘right’

5.     I volunteer because I get to be creative

6.     I volunteer because I have time and I like to contribute

7.     Doing is one of my specialties

8.     Planning is another one

9.     I have achieved all I need through the grace of others going beyond their ‘paid employment’ to offer me a hand when I was down, so now I feel like I have a moral obligation to extend my hand and heart when I can

10.  I like to play

11.  Community working and playing together is just satisfying

12.  I have made lifelong friends and connections through volunteering as a member of the Center

Finally, the hardest part of volunteering is stopping. Sometimes, even when you love volunteering in a public and overt way, you may have to reassess and return to not volunteering. You may have to return to the house and let all the positivity you stockpiled while volunteering carry you for a while. This is called the Law of the Circulation of Volunteering."

Kathryn Jurik

Comments

  1. Kathryn Jurik, I love your list of why you volunteer, especially doing is one of my specialties and I like to play.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We're Passing the Baton, is it to you?

We have mentioned before that we are intending to gradually scale back on bookstore duties and eventually step down completely.  We are actively seeking people to help in the following areas: advertising, computer skills (Excel, Word), social media, graphic art (creative signage), special events, deep cleaning and the BIG ONE...retail management and retail buying skills.  Passing the baton Yes, we wish to pass on the management of the store to new volunteers, preferably a manager and assistant manager (or perhaps a management team).  In this store's management, the most important and time-consuming tasks are ordering product, input of product and managing the product.  We would train and continue to advise (if necessary) to ensure a smooth transition of leadership in the two basic areas of gift items and books. For a while, we wish to retain the decorating portion of managing the store. Managing the store is a HUGE responsibility, but the rewards are ten...

Meet your extraordinary Board Trustee and Treasurer, Karen Hatten.

and....Karen wears many hats in Service to our community. On most Sunday mornings she can be found greeting guest and welcoming newcomers.  Thank you Karen for your love and service to our spiritual community.  

How to Volunteer

Please email the member of staff next to the area you are interested in and we will contact you. Landscape and gardening - william.abel@cslsr.org Sunday hospitality - linda.hann@cslsr.org Facility housekeeping - william.abel@cslsr.org Video team - christopher.fritzsche@cslsr.org Facility projects (painting, organizing, repair) - william.abel@cslsr.org Skilled help (electrical, plumbing, etc.) - william.abel@cslsr.org Event Parking Lot surveillance - william.abel@cslsr.org Zoom tech - russ.legear@cslsr.org  "When we serve others, we gain more than hope. We gain energy." — Margaret J. Wheatley in  Turning to One Another "All acts of service are meaningless unless they are given with love." — Sai Baba in  Wisdom from World Religions  by Sir John Templeton